We are finally putting our animal data into ArcGIS online! We managed to divide up our raw data into different species and converted the sheets into CSV files (which are the only files that ArcGIS online will take). We then uploaded all of the files to our shared map. Now that we’ve done this, we can freely manipulate the data in the platform. We’ve sent out a message to the good people at the Stanford Geospatial Center in the hopes of setting up a bigger, potentially more productive meeting.
On top of adding the data we are creating notes on the map such as area identifiers to portray the areas that are county parks/land versus private land.
What We Observed and Learned
This week has been a big learning week in Excel and ArcGIS. We continued our journey in manipulating Excel data, using a combination of filters and formulas to narrow down then separate our camera data. We then faced compatibility issues between Google Sheets and ArcGIS, since sheets isn’t in a format that can be uploaded to ArcGIS. In order to transfer the data, we needed to download the animal data in the form of CSV documents, then re-upload them into ArcGIS one species at a time. This took a bit of tedious work, but the results are promising! Since we’ve uploaded all of the species data to ArcGIS now, we’re starting to learn our way around the tools and features.
By mapping out the county land we have figured out that a lot of our camera trapping data is not on/in county land. Thus the conclusions reached by the images and amalgamation of data might not directly correlate to what species and quantities lie in the parks.
Critical Analysis / Moving Forward
Moving forward, we have begun planning out our final paper and consolidating and completing research.
The last push for reaching unreached contacts and community members is also happening this week. We don’t feel that we can write up the paper without adequate time to consider the respective voices properly, so we are investing a large portion of our energy into making those connections as fast as we can. If we cannot find the sources from outside campus (such as from the Muwekma tribe, which has yet to get back to us), we will try to find sources on campus that provide a similar viewpoint (as in the case of the Muwekma Ohlone tribe, there are organisations on campus that have contacts/information).
Work has mostly been on the data analysis and processing side of the project this week, and so we have not been thinking on the critical level. This is fine, as we have had to put our heads down and do the necessary work for our deliverable. We will pick up the big picture thinking again as we do our research for our final paper.